Gifted & Talented Students
Thomas Knyvett College is committed to ensuring that Gifted, Talented and More Able students are supported and challenged to ensure that they maximise their potential. We offer able students a safe, supportive environment, in which achievement is promoted, recognised and celebrated. Consequently, our high attaining students outperform their contemporaries nationally.
The provision for More Able students that enables them to achieve includes the following:
- Gifted, Talented or More Able students are identified on entry to the school to ensure that their needs are catered from the onset.
- Students have the opportunity to participate in specialist activities and trips which aim to expose them to educational experiences which expand their knowledge and skills even further.
- Gifted and Talented opportunities take a number of different forms including workshops with an outstanding motivational speaker, university visits, engineering challenges, science and maths events and public speaking competitions.
- All teachers are given training on how to stretch and challenge Gifted, Talented and More Able students. Subject teachers provide classroom provision in a variety of ways to ensure that Gifted, Talented and More Able students are stretched and have the opportunity to work at a higher level.
- We aim to ensure that every Gifted and Talented student leaves Thomas Knyvett College with the knowledge of where their abilities could lead them in their future. As such students are encouraged to think of their future career plans early on to ensure they have all the stepping stones in place needed for their further and higher education.
Gifted and Talent students' comments:
"I feel special that I have been noticed as being Gifted and Talented"
"I am challenged in lessons and I really enjoy that challenge"
"I feel happy that I have been identified as Gifted and Talented. There are extra activities that have given me different experiences and opportunities"
"I feel that the extra-curricular activities I have been on have benefited me immensely"